Publisher Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State, 1988 Locality First Baptist Church Place Jackson, Jackson, MI USA Source ID S1089 Text First Baptist Church
In 1834 thirteen Jackson pioneers established the Barry Jackson Baptist Church in Sandstone Township. Five years later, the Reverend David Hendee and seventeen members of that church formed the First Baptist Church in Jackson. Meetings were held in several locations until 1868, when construction began on the present church. J. R. Lewis provided the plans and specifications for this Romanesque Revival style structure. When a lack of funds resulted in repeated construction delays, “Uncle Ben” Mosher, a member of the building committee, agreed to erect the walls for free if the materials were supplied. A donation from four church members in 1871 assured the structure’s completion. The church was eventually dedicated on March 10, 1872.
Linked to (1) MOSHER, Benjamin G
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 14.0, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2023.